Electro Discharge Machining
The unconventional method of several specific advantages over conventional methods of machining and these promise formidable tasks to be undertaken and set a new recording in the manufacturing technology. EDM is one such machining process, which has been immense help to the manufacturing process engineers to produce intricate shapes on any conducting metal and alloy irrespective of its hardness and toughness.
1. Contact initiated discharge
2. Spark initiated discharge
3. Electrolytic discharge
1. The process can be applied to all electrically conducting metal and alloyes irrespectives of their melting points, hardness, toughness, or brittleness
2. Any complicated shape that can be made on the tool can be produced on the work piece
3. Time of machining is less than conventional machining process
1. Power required for machining in E.D.M is very high compared to conventional process.
2. Reproduction of sharp corners is the limitation of the process.
3. Surface cracking takesplace in some materials