Title of the project
Development of a feature-rich, practical Resource Management System (RMS)
Abstract of the project
This project is aimed at developing an online Resource Management System that is of importance to the various Independent Business Units (IBU) of an organization. The Resource Management System (RMS) is an Intranet based application that can be accessed throughout the organization or a specified group/Dept. This system can be used to add or modify employee details and help the management while organization in allocating resources to various Projects.
Functional components of the project
Following is a list of functionalities of the system. Any more functionalities that you find appropriate can be added to this list. And, in places where the description of functionality is not adequate, you can make appropriate assumptions and proceed.
There shall be two types of users in the system. One would be the super users, eg project managers, Unit Heads, etc. who would have the authority to allocate resources to various projects. The other type shall be Normal users who would be able to update their personal and official details, but wouldnâ„¢t be able to allocate themselves any other IBUâ„¢s or projects.
1. A normal user should be able to
Â¢ Login to the system through the first page of the application.
Â¢ Change the password after logging into the system
Â¢ Incorrect entry of the password three consecutive times should lock the user out of the application until the super user resets his password.
Â¢ see his/her personal and official details.
Details to be available are:
1. Employee Name.
2. Employee Number.
3. Project Code.
4. Current Location
5. Current IBU
6. Permanent Address
7. Local Address
8. Passport Information (Passport No, Issue date, Expiry date, Issuing Office)
9. Telephone numbers.
10. Educational Qualifications.
11. Technical skills and certifications.
12. No of Years of Experience.
13. Information about previous jobs held. (These should include Name of the organization, Duration of employment, Designation, Brief Description of work done).
2. The normal user should not be able to change certain fields like name, employee no, project code, location and the IBUâ„¢s. Only the super users should change these.
3. The normal user should not be able to view the records of any other employee.
4. If the normal user changes any records then a mail should be sent to the concerned user at his e-mail id confirming about the changes made.
5. The power user should be able to view the employee records of all the employees.
6. He should be able to search for employees on the basis of any of the employee fields.
7. He should be able to edit the Current Location, Current IBU and the Project code of any employee.
7. A summary report of the allocation details all employees in an IBU should be sent to the IBU Head periodically
Steps to start-off the project
There are couple of alternatives to implement such a system.
A. Microsoft platform: The system is developed using Active Server Pages as the
front end and SQL Server as the back end.
B. Unix-based platform: HTML or even Shell scripting, C programming, any
relational database (eg Postgress or Oracle or even flat files) , and tools in
The following steps will be helpful to start off the project.
1. Study and be comfortable with technologies such as
a. Active Server Pages/HTML and SQL server.
b. Unix commands, Shell programming, C Programming.
Some links to these technologies are given in the ËœGuidelines and Referencesâ„¢
section of this document
2. Make a database of people at different levels with their roles and form a hirearchy of them, like which role reports to which particular role. Decide on the various details of the people and their roles that would be stored in the database (like employee/registeration-number, name, grade, location, system-login, password in cryptic form, etc)
3. Assign a mail-admin who will create mail-ids for the people in the intranet of your lab or in the internet. These mail-ids will be used for sending automatic notifications and reports. The mail-admin will also take care of assigning the logins to the users of the leave system
4. Create the front-page of the leave system giving a brief description about the system and a login box
5. Create the help-pages of the system in the form of Q&A. This will help you also when implementing the system