Title of the project
Development of a Web Based Mail Client
Abstract of the project
This project is about developing a web based mail client connecting to a Linux Server running a Mail Server and with Tomcat as the Web Server.
The Project has the following main functionality
1. Receiving/Sending/organizing mails using POP3
2. Sending mail using send mail
3. Performing Admin functions like managing new user, resetting passwords etc
Functional components of the project
Following is the list of functionality the project should contain. More functionality can be added if required
1. Capability to create user Email Accounts by an Administrator or by End users after registering themselves
2. Administrator functionality to Delete User Accounts, Change passwords
3. Capability for End users to login into the system using a browser
4. Capability for logged in users to send/receive/forward/reply/delete mails
5. Invalidate user login on inactive for more than 10mts
6. Address book capability
7. Mark mails as Junk
8. Apply Label to Mail
9. Organize mails in Logical Folders
Steps to start-off the project
1. Study and develop expertise on Linux, Java, JSP, Servlets, SQL.
2. Decide on the architecture to be used i.e. (Model View Controller) MVC or even Struts Framework can be thought of
3. Freeze and develop the flow of the User Interface components
4. Practice sample code using MVC and socket programming
5. Keep a copy of the RFC on HTTP, POP3 for ready reference.
6. Write down all assumptions however silly it may appear.